Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Burlington, VT and beyond

Suzan along 1st St. Market Place
Burlington Harbor sailor
I needed a few days to recoup - mind you, this is my first boat journey and my first time living on a boat for more than an overnight. Living on a boat: our boat is 33 ft long and 10.2 ft wide, through much of it's length -  not bad. We get along in narrow spaces and really don't need our "own space". My issue is with the expanse of water with no or little land in sight as we experienced on Long Island Sound. I am learning through this journey that I need to set boat traveling conditions with the captain (Dean) i.e. I don't want to be far from shore.
I jumped ship at Shady Harbor Marina, New Baltimore, outside of Albany, unfortunately for me, just as we were entering calmer waters, canals, and locks. Dean had decided to continue alone and go through some locks up the Erie Canal before going back down to Waterford to traverse the Champlain Canal up into Lake Champlain.

Dragon boat
 After a few days to catch my breath and my will, (10 days) I was ready to resume my journey with Puffin, our boat and hubby/captain Dean.
 Mid June, I rented a car and drove to Burlington, Vt to meet up at Burlington Community Dock. As I had rented a car, we were able to grocery shop to replenish before returning the car at the airport. Then back to the boat via Uber.


Burlington/ Plattsburgh ferry
We spend a day touring Burlington, a vibrant college town, and then continued north on the Lake to see other spots. First stop was Malletts Bay, still on the mainland but bordered on the northwest by Grand Isle, also known as South Hero Island, with a nice inner cove to tuck in at Champlain Marina, one of the nicer marinas with full amenities including laundry/shower facilities. To get into Malletts outer Bay, you have to sail through an opening in the northern end of an old railroad bed no longer in use by the railroad, converted into a biking and walking trail on either side of the boat opening. We stayed 2 nights due to rain and thunderstorms. This entire journey has been marked with more weather related stays than sunny days. Then on to South and North Hero Islands, almost to the Canadian border. We stayed at North Hero Marina again tucked into a cove, Pelots Bay to be exact. Here again we had to pass from the main body of the lake via an opening in a former railroad causeway to enter the bay. We attempted to boat to Rouse's Point, on the Canadian border, alas, again, the weather predicted rain and thunderstorms for much of the day and the waves were kicking up so it was decided to travel down Lake Champlain along the western shore passing Plattsburg, around Valcour Island, an historic location and popular anchorage spot for sail and power boats.
Rugged shoreline above Burlington
From here, we ended the day in Essex Marina for an overnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment