Saturday, November 18, 2017

Milford CT to Point Judith RI - Northern Long Island Sound Run

North Dumpling Island Light House   
Sailing Regatta    
What I failed to mention in the last blog was that as the day 7/13/17 wore on, clouds rolled in again and by the time I was abeam Charles Island off Milford, it was seriously threatening a downpour. The storm raced with me into Milford and won, hands down. The seemingly long slog up the Wepawaug River on which Milford Harbor is situated, was wet and tight through a massive collection of predominantly pleasure craft slipped or moored both shoreside and midstream. Milford Boat Works where I grabbed a slip, was at the head of navigable waters, at least for larger craft.
Watch Hill Light House   
The following day 7/15/17 was rainy all day so I stayed put, after a nice breakfast aboard of potato fries, ham, eggs and picante sauce, I wandered about town a bit, read and generally enjoyed a lazy day. I had hoped to meet a friend who lived there but that didn't pan out.
Commuter Yacht "Aphrodite"              
High tide was 4am on the 15th so I was underway early so as to catch a favorable current heading north along shore under a gray, damp sky. By 6:50 New Haven on the Quinnipiac River was abeam. Soon Branford and Guilford were astern. It was in that area that I attained my best speed for the day- 9.3mph or about 8.1 knot. As I passed abeam Clinton about 9:20am, I slowed to "no wake"speed as I came upon a large group of sport fishermen in a variety of boats, mostly small runabouts- perhaps a fishing tournament. By 10:30 I was abeam the Conneticut River to port and the northern end of Long Island in the distance to starboard. By just shy of 1pm I was abeam New London where Suzan had come aboard on the trip south to New York City and the Hudson. About 12 miles later I was passing Watch Hill Rhode Island. Here I had the pleasure of seeing "Aphrodite" a totally restored and beautiful 74 foot 1937 Classic Commuter yacht,  roar by at about 30 mph, her twin 1,000 horsepower Caterpillar diesels just purring.
Point Judith Light House
By this time the sky had cleared to become a mostly sunny afternoon. After passing Watch Hill, the scenery became mostly long stretches of beaches and the occasional fishing vessel til I reached Point Judith Harbor of Refuge. Once inside the refuge, I dropped anchor and settled in for a nice evening on the hook, watching the Block Island ferry and other craft come and go from Snug Harbor, Jerusalem and Galilee. This time around, the sea was a little more calm than last so the boat rocked less and I slept better.
Block Island Ferry heading out.   





No comments:

Post a Comment